Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Nikon Filter Key?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member sharonhardy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2002
    Posts
    23
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello...I'm new to the Super 8mm world. I recently purchased a Nikon Super Zoom-8 camera on ebay. So far everything looks great except that it's missing the filter key. Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase this somewhere, and if not, if placing a color conversion gel over the lens would be okay? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Hanthx's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 27th, 2000
    Posts
    420
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sharon

    I'm not sure where you can find the filter key, maybe you could use a make-shift item (does anybody own the same camera?).

    But, there is no harm (actually its better) in using an external 85b filter...just find the thread size of your lens and WAMMO, new filter.
    Just make sure that your existing internal filter is disengaged.

    I believe since the key is not in, it should be disengaged.

    Scott

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 19, 2002 03:24 AM: Message edited by: Hanthx ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Hanthx:
    Sharon
    I believe since the key is not in, it should be disengaged.

    Scott

    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Nope, filter is in. You must take it out of position using the key with tungsten film.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member mcarter4121's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2001
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's my camera, too, and I have a key. I'll get it and ... what? Trace it? Photograph it? hmmmm

  5. #5
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just realized my last reply was incomplete.

    If you are using Kodachrome 40 or another type A tungsten balance film then the internal 85 filter will be in place. That means you are good to go for shooting outdoors. If you want to shoot indoors with artificial lighting then you need to insert the filter key to remove the 85 filter.

    If you want to use an external 85 filter for shooting outdoors then you would have to insert the filter key otherwise you are shooting through two 85 filters.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member sharonhardy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2002
    Posts
    23
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for your help! It looks like I may have found one from another hostboard member. If it ends up not working out, I' m glad to hear that the 85b filter will do the job.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •